Foundation presents Partners in Education awards
Larry Dobson and the First Church of Peculiar are the recipients of the 2018 Partners in Education awards from the Raymore-Peculiar Public School Foundation.
The honorees were introduced at the annual Gala on Feb. 24, 2018. The Gala is both a celebration and a fundraiser. Sponsorships, donations, and participation in silent, and live auctions raised money to support Foundation projects, grants, and scholarships.
Richard Riepe and Nancy Morris accept the Partner in Education award on behalf of First Church of Peculiar. They are pictured with Superintendent Dr. Kari Monsees, at right.
First Church of Peculiar
First Church of Peculiar has been an ongoing supporter of the Foundation, and more specifically the Caring About Nutrition, or CAN, program since its early days. Financial support from the church has grown over the years, with some church members donating weekly in support the CAN program. The church and its members are now collectively contributing about $10,000 per year to CAN.
In addition to CAN, First Church supports Caring Hearts of Peculiar, the Peculiar Thrift Store, Hope House, and the Honor Flight Network of Kansas City.
First Church of Peculiar was established in 2005. It is located at the intersection of First and Center streets in Peculiar in a church that was originally dedicated in 1908.
During his many years of service on the Foundation Board, Larry Dobson served as Alumni Committee chair, working to building the alumni network within the community.
In 2014, he was among the first four people to receive the Distinguished Alumni award from the Foundation.
Larry is a 1966 graduate of Ray-Pec. He and his wife, Mary, have spent their entire lives in the Peculiar and Raymore communities where they raised their two children, Lauren and Scott. Dobson received his bachelor’s, master’s, and educational specialist degrees from the University of Central Missouri. He taught and was a counselor in the Blue Springs School District for 20 years and was a teacher, counselor, and administrator at Ray-Pec for 10 years. After retirement, worked part-time for 12 years in the Belton School District.
In addition to serving on the Foundation Board, Dobson also spent 12 years on the Raymore-Peculiar School Board nearly 25 years on the Wills Cemetery Association Board of Directors. He is active in his church and is involved with other charitable groups, including Caring Hearts of Peculiar and the Peculiar Charitable Foundation.
His hobbies include gardening, flowers and bluebirds. He is a charter member of the Missouri Bluebird Society, and has served as an officer. He has hosted many visitors to his iris beds, which contain more than 300 varieties. During this year's Gala, he donated a raised iris bed for the auction.
These were some of the items auctioned to raise money for the Foundation:
- Ribs and Runs (Jack Stack Barbecue meal and Royals tickets) - donated by Phil Parke - Edward Jones
- Principal for a Day
- Quarter of Beef, donated by Superintendent Dr. Kari Monsees and Laura Monsees
- Iris Garden, donated by Larry Dobson
- Raymore Day at the K package to include first pitch, donated by the Raymore Chamber of Commerce and Dr. Kari and Laura Monsees
- Ray-Pec Spirit Package, donated by the Ray-Pec Athletic Booster Club and Ray-Pec Athletics
- Outtakes Unplugged performance, donated by Dan Garrison and the Outtakes Unplugged Band
- Golf with the NFL Pros, donated by Paul Coffman Family and friend and The Golf Club at Creekmoor
- Four-hour chauffered bus trip, donated by Apple Bus
- Date night surprise package, from multiple donors
- Creekmoor Golf Club Membership, donated by The Golf Club at Creekmoor
- KC Symphony Christmast Concert and Plaza Dinner, donated by Phil Parke - Edward Jones
- Duck hunting trip and duck mount, donated by Tim Stidham and Tim's Taxidermy
- KC Royals memorabilia packages (2 options), donated by Dayton Moore and the Kansas City Royals
- Two large sugar maple trees and planting, donated by Stonegait Nursery and Alford Enterprises
- Family tree heirloom etched into granite tile, donated by the RPHS Technology Student Association and Teacher Ivan Robison
Thanks to these table sponsors for the Gala:
- Rich Bartow - Community Financial
- Community Bank of Raymore
- Guin Mundorf, LLC
- Houdyshell & Associates/Edward Jones - Jane Redmond
- Phil Parke - Edward Jones
- Scott York
- Major Saver
- Scott and Dana Jermain
- Kurt and Mary Shatford
Thanks to these event sponsors:
- Apple Bus
- Jeff Fletcher for Cass County Clerk
- Ruth Walter for County Clerk
- Cass County Presiding Commissioner Jeff Cox
- Bob Huston for Cass County Presiding Commissioner
- Chris Molendorp, Class of 1987
- Kris Turnbow
- Mike Vinck
The fifth annual Raymore-Peculiar Public School Foundation Gala was Saturday, February 24, at Centerview, 227 Municipal Circle, Raymore. A social hour and silent auction beganat 5:30 p.m., dinner was at 6:30 p.m., and a live auction began after dinner. Tickets are $60 per person.
If you would like to donate an item for our silent or live auction or sponsor this event, please contact Jodie Huston, email@example.com, or call 816-892-1368.
Mark your calendar for next year's Gala on Feb. 23, 2019.